Principal Engineer I (Database), Global Developer Platform
To be the most loved everyday food and groceries destination! - that's our mission at foodpanda (small f).
foodpanda is the largest food and grocery delivery platform in Asia, outside of China. Operating in more than 400 cities across 11 markets, we continue to expand and grow in our core food delivery business, as well as in new verticals like grocery deliveries, with a strong tech infrastructure at our core. From our restaurants-partners, cloud kitchens and cloud grocery stores - foodpanda is just one tap away, getting everything you need into your hands quickly and conveniently!
We are looking for enthusiastic problem solvers to join us in scaling our platform, to digitalise businesses in Asia, uplift rider livelihoods and build a hyper-convenient platform for our customers. If you love working with technology to create solutions and are not afraid to roll up your sleeves to get things done, you will find your tribe here at foodpanda. Our diverse and high-performing team comprises people from more than 60 nationalities, and we welcome all experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer I (Database) to join our Developer Platform tribe on our journey to always deliver amazing experiences.
You will work on global strategic initiatives aiming to build a world-class developer experience, taming the ever growing complexity of cloud applications. This is a great opportunity to help shape the future ways we build, run, and operate software in a large scale and global environment.
- Set standards for Engineering excellence by leading by example and mentorship
- Drive technological improvements (through RFCs or other tools), explain, discuss and align decisions paving the future of our solutions
- Be an active partner for Engineering and Product Management in order to provide the best value for stakeholders and our customers
- Participate in code reviews, debugging and diagnosis
- Contribute to architecture reviews, challenge the status quo and identify improvement points for individual components, as well as solutions for the business problem we've set to solve
- To learn new technologies in depth, share this knowledge with the rest of the organization, mentor other team members
- Help building and shaping an organization that has deep knowledge of how to use and troubleshoot data management and streaming solutions
- In-depth knowledge of a database, data messaging or streaming technologies such as: PostgreSQL, Redis, Kafka, DynamoDB
- 12+ years of experience building and delivering solutions using databases (SQL/noSQL), data streaming, or message queue technologies
- You have the ability to lead and drive technical initiatives across multiple teams
- Significant experience building and delivering solutions at scale
- Demonstrated ability to pick up new technologies and leverage insights from existing expertise
- Deep understanding of software architecture, scalability and stability
- You are pragmatic, and focused on empowering others
- Ability to work independently as well as in a group
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of AWS, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, and infrastructure as code
- Knowledge or programming languages such as Java, Python or Golang
- Understanding of monitoring tools such as Kibana, Prometheus, and DataDog
- Experience with cloud cost optimization
- Experience in both microservices and monoliths, API- and event-based communication
What we offer
- A dynamic and challenging work environment.
- A company committed to developing you personally and professionally.
- A great working atmosphere with regular company and team events.
- A vibrant and international team committed to diversity and inclusion.
- Responsibility from day one in a fast growing and global company.
- Other benefits include free food, health and dental insurance, and learning and development opportunities!
Our parent company, Delivery Hero, is a global leader in the food delivery industry processing over 3 million orders every day and operating in 40+ markets in the world, with 18,000 employees and approximately 500,000+ restaurant partners.