The Director of Design & Technical Services reports into the Global Head Design & Technical Services. The position oversees the design development process and construction and project management to an established schedule within approved budget. He / She supports the implementation of Aman's standards and brand objectives through a focus on superior design strategies and solutions. Responsible for liaising with owners and managing project consultants to achieve best in class Aman hotels in both urban and resort locations.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships & communication with Owners, Development Consultants, Brand and Operational leaders.
- Interface with owners, development companies, architects, interior designers, planning consultants, contractors, and public agencies in a collaborative, team-focused manner that adds value to projects and relationships.
- Day-to-day management of multi-national professional teams and internal stakeholders across multiple projects running concurrently.
- Provide design direction, ensure adherence to brand standards, and oversee design and engineering consultant teams to develop the design through all project phases.
- Deliver owned-projects on schedule, within budget and to the quality standards required by Aman. Monitor and control owned-project costs to approved budgets.
- Develop project schedules, track and review construction documents. Review design consultant submitted drawings and specifications.
- Update the Global Head of Design & Technical Services on a weekly basis using the Aman TS Weekly Reports format for the past week and provide projections for the following week on all design aspects and program delivery.
- Identify, work to resolve and communicate project-related issues and resolutions.
- Assist activities in the early formulation and feasibility stages of a project.
- Make presentations to senior leaders and owners to gain their approval on design recommendations.
- Work closely with QA and QS teams through detailed budgets, and VE exercises.
- Lead procurement agents through tender approval and factory visits to ensure design and quality of all FFE, including furniture, decorative lighting, and carpets.
- Attend workshops with owner's design teams (PM, MEP, ID, ARCH, LANDSCAPE, SIGNAGE, ACOUSTICS, ART) to ensure design delivery according to issued master program.
Attend mock up room evaluation sessions and prepare Mock Up Room Review Reports.
- University degree in Architecture or Interior Design
- Minimum 12 years professional experience, including 3+ years Technical Services experience in a similar role with luxury hotel operators
- Familiarity with all aspects of luxury hotel and resorts project delivery
- Fluent in written and spoken English (additional languages desirable)
- Strong work ethic and cultural sensitivity
- Excellent communicator able to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to travel extensively