In this role, you will report to the Cost Control Manager and have the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Oversee, assess, and analyze all Principal expenses with the goal of reducing costs and achieving savings.
- Ensure uniformity and consistency in cost reporting.
- Ensure timely approval of operational vendor expenses.
- Approval of new vendor usage (linking Business Partner to cost).
- Validate principal costs debited against the provisional expenses and provide justification for variances.
- Address Principal inquiries promptly.
- Ensure reconciliation of various monthly suspense accounts as per Principal-established timelines.
- Analyze related Principal incomes (land and logistics) to maximize billings, collections, and margins.
- Ensure proper approval and reduction of waivers for principal incomes (land and logistics).
- Collaborate with other functions and departments to maintain compliant internal controls and effectively mitigate costs and risks.
- Undertake additional tasks as assigned.
- Participate in the vendor selection/evaluation process for Principal expenses.
Reporting and Deliverables to Management
- Prepare monthly Agency KPI data as assigned.
- Create Principal cost analysis and monthly analysis reports for management and MSC Asia Regional Office.
- Proactively identify potential risks and work with relevant Heads of Departments (HODs) and process owners to mitigate them.
- Collaborate with internal/external auditors, tax agents, and local authorities to address local issues.
- Ensure proper audit trails for records in compliance with statutory requirements.
Systems and Process Improvement
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to drive improvements and resolutions in end-to-end Cost Control processes.
- Identify system/process misalignments to promote standardization and improvement, initiate requests, and ensure closure with System support.
- Work closely with IT Support to guide the team in troubleshooting and resolving Cost Control process issues.
Performance Management and Individual Development
- Develop performance metrics to enhance individual and team performance.
- Act as a coach/mentor, providing technical financial advice and knowledge to the Cost Control team.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional self-development for the Cost Control team.
- Identify and initiate areas for improvement, establish effective accounting control procedures, and implement best practices to enhance overall cost control operations, work quality, and efficiency.
- Provide support to the Cost Control Manager, Senior FM, and Chief Financial Officer in new initiatives or projects as needed.
Desired Candidate Profile
- Minimum Degree in Accountancy/Finance, ACCA, or an equivalent Professional Accounting qualification.
- A minimum of 6 to 8 years of relevant work experience in managing and executing accounting controls and reporting.
- 6 to 8 years of experience in the shipping industry/Liner or Agency shipping with a focus on cost control and reporting is advantageous.
- Proficient in managing changes and thriving in challenging business environments.
- Sound knowledge of IFRS and SFRS accounting standards.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with SAP financial systems and related data flow.
- Possesses a high level of integrity and ethics.
- Team player with people management skills, capable of leading, developing, and driving the performance of direct reports.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical abilities.
- Effective time management to meet tight deadlines and multitask efficiently.
- Adaptability to work under pressure and respond to changes.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
Focusing mainly in the Shipping, Trading, Marine, Offshore and Oil & Gas sector, Direct Search Global is a specialist recruitment company that provides staffing solutions to niche vertical markets where most recruiters are unable to service effectively. Our approach is to provide a focused, straight-forward and no-nonsense recruitment solution to our clients and candidates. In order to connect better with our clients and candidates, Direct Search Global is made up of a team of specialist recruiters coming from diverse but relevant background. They used to be seafarers, naval architects, ship brokers, surveyors, commodity traders, industry experts or experienced recruiters.